Search Results

Like to listen to what goes on behind the scenes in film making or acting straight from an actor? Click here.

A Reunion Dinner with a secret to hide. Click here.

Have you taken all the modern comforts for granted? Behind every modern device there is the technology and with them comes the management and risks. Interested to find out what goes on below the hood? Click here.

Friday, February 20, 2009

My Double Life

I got a couple of hours notice by text message in the evening, then rushed back to start packing and I was on the next flight to the Gulf in the morning. It was hardly a good time, as I had a flu, a bad cough and also some outstanding problems to solve in Singapore.
.
So I was on board, sick, tired and troubled. But all these were quickly forgotten the moment I turned to the movie "Mama Mia", as it instantly transported me back to the ABBA-mania of the seventies. Listening to their songs this time, the lyrics cut a deeper meaning as I realised that they were mostly expressing the intricate emotional struggles in relationships. "Mama Mia" will resonate well with those who have lived through the hippie era, ABBA music, and those divorced with teenage children struggling with a small business like a guest house (as the movie is about) ! :)  Here is are some clips:

.
.

.

.

.
.
The plane finally arrived at the destination and I was thus returned to reality just as quickly. There was a large crowd of people, mostly immigrant workers from the Indian sub-continent at the immigration posts. Then, one of the grey haired older one approached me and indicated with his hand what I thought was that he needed a pen to fill in his arrival card. Then, as I passed him my pen, he shook his head and gently pushed both the card and pen to me. Obviously, he couldn't understand English and wanted me to fill the card for him. Later, I realised he couldn't understand Arabic either. That man is illiterate! It has been a long while since I have met anyone illiterate that I have forgotten they are still around. 
.
Then, as I filled in the card for him, I was shocked to find out that he is actually younger than I am. He looked like he is in his 50s but actually is only 36! Working under the hot desert sun, must have taken a toil on them and aged them many years rapidly.
.
Being transported from my personal strife to the fantasy world and now into the harsh reality of migrant workers in the desert, I was mentally stretched. Still struggling with my flu and cough, already had me exhausted and so when I got out of the gates, I was so pleased to see the limo driver holding the placard with my name. By the time I reached the hotel, I just fell onto my bed and knocked out.
.
The breakfast in the following morning was good, but the staff didn't look very happy. They weren't smiling and their service was very mechanical and they looked compelled. Anyway, since they have served me, I thank each of them, including the cooks and the captain before I left. After all, it was a lot of work waking up early to prepare such a big buffet and present them so beautifully.
.
It is pleasant to be back in the Gulf once in a while. The people I deal with have always been pleasant and polite with me. Going back once in a while feels like I am returning to see old friends.
.
Ali, one of my friends there, told me of a true incident in Dubai recently where an accountant walked away with a million dollars in his bag. He left the car at the airport. In it, he left his cut beard and a note saying that the money is for him and the beard is for them. This man had grown his beard to look like he is living like the Prophet to gain the trust of the people for the last four years. And when he finally had his chance, he ran away with the money. Ali concluded that religion is in the heart, not in the external appearances. Everything is between one's heart and God and nothing else.
.
The next morning at breakfast, the waiters brightened up and smiled as they saw me. One of them even asked how I was. It was a contrasting difference and a pleasant surprise. They must have felt appreciated yesterday and therefore were more motivated.  It goes to show that a bit of gratitude goes a long way!
.
After breakfast, it's time to check out and head for the airport later in the day. Then I will return to the other double life in Singapore. I sometimes wonder which one is real?
.

.

No comments: